Monday, September 27, 2004

Why I Listen to CCM

A while back, S. Lewis asked me why I listen to CCM (Contemporary Christian Music). Well, after quite some time, I've decided to explain.

For me, CCM is a safe alternative for mainstream rock. The argument has been made that Christian rock has less talent than mainstream rock, but I beg to differ. I would say there is little to no discrepancy between the skills of Christian and secular music artists. Granted, I don't listen to much mainstream rock, but I am subjected to it just about everywhere I go. I would like to look at the two main areas of interest in the music debates: The music itself, and the lyrics.

First, the music. The Anti-CCM side claims that the musical talent and the aesthetics of CCM make it displeasing to listen to. The Pro-CCM side disagrees. I will allow that there are CCM songs and groups that are aesthetically quite annoying, but such music is present in the mainstream rock industry as well. In my town, I can get two Christian radio stations. The first is 91.7, and I DO NOT like that station. The intentions are good, but most of the music falls into the Praise and Worship category. Now, I enjoy Praise and Worship, but as far as entertaining music goes, I do like some variety. I sometimes wonder if some of the Anti-CCM crowd has simply gotten stuck listening to stations like 91.7.

The other Station is 90.3, called WAY-FM, and it is much higher quality. It plays popular Christian music, and the more exceptional Praise and Worship music. This is more to my liking, and so it follows that I listen to WAY-FM more.

As far as lyrics go, there is no question in my mind that CCM is superior. First of all, the music of CCM is positive, which can't be found in other genres of music. As Miss Piggy (my girlfriend) has said, "Positive doesn't sell." The minds of our culture have been warped in such a way that we feel compelled to meditate on what is depressing, negative, and sinful, and our music reflects this. Allow me to direct you to Philippians 4:8:

"Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy--meditate on these things."

Now let's examine a random Radiohead song through these criteria.

Morning Bell

The morning bell
The morning bell
Had a null encounter
Release me
Release me

You can keep the furniture
A bump on the head
Howling down the chimney
Release me
Release me
Please
Release me
Release me

Where’d you park the car
Where’d you park the car
Clothes are all alone with the furniture
Now I might as well
I might as well

Sleepy jack the fire drill
Running around around around...

Cut the kids in half
Cut the kids in half
Cut the kids in half

I wanted to tell you but you never listened
You never understand
I wanted to tell you but you never listened
You never understand
Cos I’m walking walking walking...

The lights are on but nobody’s home
Everybody wants to be a
The lights are on but nobody’s home
Everybody wants to be a singer
Walking walking walking...

The lights are on but nobody’s at home
Everybody wants to be a
Everyone wants to be a friend
Nobody wants to be a singer
Walking walking walking...

WHAT THE CRAP?? There is no music on earth that could be good enough to make up for those lyrics. The good thing is that the lyrics were pretty clean, but dang, what good does it do if it could have been written by a psychopathic 2 year-old who is just learning to form sentences?

Just so you know, the next song I looked at by Radiohead was "Creep," and I wasn't surprised to find foul language that I won't post here on my blog. The same can be said of Velvet Revolver music.

So what are my problems with secular lyrics? Well, if Radiohead is a good representative of secular rock, then the music is at best incomprehensible and at worst nasty and foul. Rap and R&B are both frequently foul-mouthed and filthy as well, and in these things I can find nothing that is praiseworthy or or good report. Therefore, I choose not to meditate on them.

I prefer that my music be used for positive purposes. I want it to uplift me, teach me, or praise my Creator. I want my music to edify its listeners and I want it to glorify God. If the music doesn't mention Jesus or God by name, that's okay with me, so long as there is sufficient music that does.

There is much more to be said in defense of CCM and against most mainstream music. However, I won't post that at this time. Instead, I will pose a question:

Given that not all secular music is represented by Radiohead, but that much is similar, is it better to listen to secular music, Christian music, or maybe no music at all? Does Christian music serve it's purpose, or does it fall flat? Is secular music really harmless, or is it restricted by Philippians 4:8?

Tell me what you think.

COMMENT POLICY

Please refrain from the use of foul language. Any failure to comply will result in comment deletion.

3 Comments:

At Tue Sep 28, 09:55:00 PM, Blogger David Pulliam said...

I don't listen to ccm very much because I usually listen to music when I'm working on something else and ccm is supposed to be praising God So when I listen to ccm I want to be praising Christ in my heart while I'm listening to it because isn't that what it's for? I don't think I'm getting my point across but when you're praising God, aren't you supposed to be doing it with full concentration.

 
At Tue Sep 28, 10:26:00 PM, Blogger D2M said...

I listen to CCM because, while not all of it is good, there is a lot that is. Many songs make me stop and go "Am I really living my life the way God would want me to?" or "Isn't God wonderful!" or "Wow, I never thought of it that way.." and many other things along those lines. I also enjoy catchy lyrics that will have me unconsciously humming praises about/to God weeks later when the radio/music is off.

CCM isn't the only music I'll listen and sing to. I love to sing hymns, but not really listen to other people sing them. I love to listen to orchastra, but I really can't sing to it (unless I make something up).

CCM falls right in the middle. Plus [CCM radio], it's DJs and talkshows and even it's commercials are always clean and uplifting and interesting. So I enjoy that too.(Which is why I'll be donating 50$ to my local CCM station again this year.)

I think I've babbled enough. :)

 
At Wed Sep 29, 12:17:00 AM, Blogger LAURA A. WARMAN said...

Shortly, I listen to Christian music because it draws me closer to God.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.


Take the MIT Weblog Survey Federal Social Security Calculator

Powered by Blogger

Who Links Here Religion Blog Top Sites Whose values?