Saturday, August 21, 2004

A Movie I would Definitely Recommend...

...To fuel a fire. Fifty First Dates is at best (kind of) funny and at worst sappy and flat out nasty. The violent shifts from sexual humor to attempts at moving, touching scenes were enough to give me a headache. Often, I would see a huge potential for an innovative part of the plot to be exploited for its comedic quality, and every time I was disappointed. Ten Second Tom (I think that was his name), who could only remember things for ten seconds, had such huge potential for humor. His addition to the script was in vain.

The movie relies far too heavily on what comedians call "the cheap laugh," which is when a joke is made that causes the audience to laugh, not at the humor, but because the joke made them uncomfortable. Sexual humor with little yield as far as laughs go and even less purpose is simply nauseating to me, and my stomach churned through every minute of this painstaking movie.

The plot is too slow, the humor is often too dirty, the touching scenes come across as sappy, and the high notes fall flat. The language in the movie was noticeably clean, as cursing is *relatively* scarce. Still too much for comfort, but more absent than in other movies. The writers took great care to balance this lack of cursing with an abundance of sexual references, however, so don't worry, you'll get your fill of vice.

After the first twenty minutes of this movie, I paid little attention. It is a movie that would play better as a slide show. "Oh, and there's Henry trying to convince her that he has been dating her for several weeks!" and "Look, there she is hitting him on the head with a stick!" would have worked just as well as the atrocious writing for this pitiful excuse for a movie. Maybe I'm being too harsh on it, but then again maybe I'm not. I know that I will never watch the movie again.

On the bright side, there were definitely some funny parts to this movie. Not many, but some. And, uh, that's just about all the good stuff about the movie.

I give it a 2 out of 10.

COMMENT POLICY

Please refrain from the use of foul language. Any failure to comply will result in comment deletion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.


Take the MIT Weblog Survey Federal Social Security Calculator

Powered by Blogger

Who Links Here Religion Blog Top Sites Whose values?