Wednesday, August 03, 2005

A Strange Sort of Culture Shock

After spending a week among my peers at Worldview Academy, I seem to be experiencing a letdown of sorts.

Let me explain: While at Worldview, I met eighty (or so) teenagers who were, in a sense, like me. Yes, we all had our different styles, interests, ideas, and senses of humor; in that regard, Worldview seemed to be more diverse than your average gathering of teens. However, on a basic level, we all had one thing in common: We had all come to a camp where the motto is "Think Hard, Think Well," and we didn't view this as a hardship or a punishment.

Being around this group that still regards thinking as "cool" was quite refreshing, but it set me up for a rather discouraging crash once I returned home. For a week, I had a peer group that was respectful, polite, and unafraid of deep thought, but back in my hometown such people are few and far-between. For many of my fellow teens, "Think hard, think well" is more of a torture tactic than a motto. The very thought of an apologetics and leadership camp sends them into convulsions, followed by the ridicule of the very idea of such a camp. "What's the point? Why bother?" They say.

The sad part is that these are often Christian teens. Since when was it acceptable to not understand your own worldview? Since when was it cool to follow as a dumb sheep, rather than lead as a shepherd? When did these kids stop caring? What happened?

The kids at Worldview were polite, and yet, in their consideration for others, they sacrificed none of their personality. In some art that is apparently unknown in my neck of the woods, these kids were able to be funny as all get out WITHOUT having to cut someone else down. Imagine that! Eighty teenagers who can feel good about themselves without having to make someone else feel bad! And you know what's sad? That kind of consideration is not a hard concept to grasp. It's really not too difficult to be kind every once in a while... So why can't more people do it?

The way teenagers treat each other is appalling, and I'm discouraged to see Christians falling perfectly in line with everyone else, mocking whomever and whatever seems uncool. I've watched smart kids dumb themselves down, polite kids become unruly, and kind ones become cold and withdrawn, all because they were outnumbered by peers who consider intelligence, politeness and kindness to be "stupid." I've watched it happen from the first snide remarks to the time when such rudeness is no longer necessary to keep the victim beaten down, and I've seen Christians participating all the way.

This is not acceptable, and yet my comrades can't seem to understand that. Everything that Christianity is-- compassion, servant leadership, love-- these things are all lost on so many Christian teens, to the point that they seem to be Christians on only a nominal level. They take the name of Christ, and they accept their own salvation, and then they continue to torment everyone around them who dares to exhibit kindness, compassion, or intelligence.

These Christians ridicule anyone who stands up for his own beliefs (even if they share his beliefs) simply because he chose to stand up. They themselves are convinced that there is nothing worth standing up for-- for even what should be most near and dear to their hearts can't motivate them to step out of their unconcerned stupor in its defense-- and they are quick to ensure that no one else stands up for their beliefs either.

And so, it has been quite depressing to leave the environment of Worldview and re-enter everyday life. No longer do all the Christians around me act like what they are. No longer can I speak of a subject that requires more than a 5th grade education to comprehend. No longer can I take a stand for what I believe without fear of reproach.

But stand I will, by the grace of God. When opposition comes at me even from those who are on my side, it is my job to stand for what is right, and I pray that I will not be swayed. It is a hard challenge before me (and truly, before us all), for I must stand, but stand in compassion. As resentful as I may feel toward those who I believe are betraying Christianity, I must show them the exact same love I would show anyone, lest I become exactly what I decry. I must fight against cynicism and bitterness, and lead by example, rather than by arguments, for an argument will never change the mind of someone who won't stand for anything to begin with. I must first show love and compassion toward those who won't show love and compassion, if I wish them to change.

And so I ask that you would all pray for me. Pray that I will stand strong in faith, hope and love. Pray that I would practice what I preach, and show compassion toward those who have no concept of it. This is my goal, to effect change in the hearts and minds of my peers, to make them more effective Christians, and to do it all in love. Please pray that I would succeed, and that I would find others who are like-minded and will help me reach that goal. Your prayers would be greatly appreciated.

Be blessed!
Neo

COMMENT POLICY

Please refrain from the use of foul language. Any failure to comply will result in comment deletion.

15 Comments:

At Thu Aug 04, 01:12:00 AM, Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Prayers said.

You are going to be fine. God bless ya, sweetie.

 
At Thu Aug 04, 01:44:00 AM, Blogger D2M said...

When I went to a Christian private school I experianced the "culture shock" too. I was homeschooled several years before that and hung out with mostly adults. I was, basically, used to a fairly mature adult enviroment. The culture shock I got from teenagers, supposedly CHRISTIAN ones, was astonishing. Not one of them actually KNEW how to act like Christ. And some of them were Pastor's children. :-/

 
At Thu Aug 04, 09:03:00 AM, Blogger The Patriot said...

I know how you feel. It's hard not to get horribly frustrated with our uneducated peers.

 
At Fri Aug 05, 04:54:00 PM, Blogger Toad734 said...

There’s a shock, Christians ridiculing someone for their interests, who would have guessed.

 
At Fri Aug 05, 05:03:00 PM, Blogger LAURA A. WARMAN said...

Hey Neo! I have been suffering from the same sort of letdown. I have been trying to get my friends to go witnessing with me but none of them really want to.. I tried to start a bible study to teach apologetics but only one person came.

I wish Worldview was yeear round. *sad*

But, less than a year till the next worldview!

I will be rpaying for you as long as you pray for me!

I am loosing my fire...

 
At Fri Aug 05, 05:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you are experiencing a culture shock. I am experiencing one of my own, but a complete reversal of what is happening with you. You are frusterated because of the way that other people act after comming out of a wonderful, Godly surrounding; I am frusterated because someone very close to me has not changed after being in a Godly surrounding. I feel for you Neo, and I pray that God does grant you the strength to overcome, and be a light shining into the darkness of life. You give people hope in the way that you act, and I for one thank God and you for it. Hang in there brother! Many blessings,
Kleo

 
At Fri Aug 05, 06:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Toad,
Unfortunately, it seems that you've had very little contact with actual, Godly Christians who truly let the Father guide them. You've apparently had a full dose of Pharisaical legalistic small minded baby Christians, and that is very sad. Not much is more pathetic than someone who should know about grace and love, but only shows bitterness and fear. It is exactly what Neo is bemoaning. So many people, asleep in the light.

 
At Sun Aug 07, 05:35:00 PM, Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

I will pray for you and your peers.
You are not alone, I can assure you.

BTW, toad is an evil troll; he's been at my site to.

That's ok, I pray for him, too.

 
At Sun Aug 07, 08:39:00 PM, Blogger jacob.thrasher said...

Conservative UAW Guy,

Aye, he does come across as rather intolerant. I have a sneaking suspicion that Anonymous is correct, however; perhaps Toad's seemingly irrational bitterness is a result of having had "a full dose of Pharisaical legalistic small minded baby Christians..."

Thank you for your prayers.



David,

"I mean, seriously, you all need to move to Western PA so we can stir the embers a bit..."

I'll second that! I'll be fundraising for a while though... Maybe we should just make a blogring or a weblog alliance or something. It'd be a lot easier, and it would cost less.



Laura,

I've yet to try to start a class on apologetics, though I have considered it. However, if I start a class, it will begin as a leadership class. I would begin by defining leadership and explaining the five pillars of leadership, and then I would build from there. After explaining the purpose and principles of leadership, perhaps people would be more receptive to the idea of apologetics, no? What do you think?

And I will be praying for you.

 
At Tue Aug 09, 12:59:00 AM, Blogger LAURA A. WARMAN said...

Hey Neo! Acctually, the class was origionally started as a 5 week calss on the pillars of leadership. But it kind of changed because a lot of my friends who would be coming aren't christians so I changed it to a class on the cahracteristics of Jesus with apologetics at the end for anyone to participate. I am going to try another go round next week and see how it turns out!

I'm praying for ya!

Laurs

 
At Wed Aug 17, 05:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neo, that post is such an exact summary of my own feelings! Smart kids acting stupid, nice kids acting mean, everybody hates the intellectual... it's embarrasing, really. I hate the way adults tend to have these preformed ideas about us teens, but unfortunately they seem to be based largely on reality! Teens don't want to learn or lead or do anything that might make them look "uncool". Why is it that respect and deep thought have somehow become a crime?? According to most teens, Academic = Geek. I hate it. Nobody wants to THINK anymore!

I do think it's interesting that we share the same opinion on this--considering that I'm a liberal, atheist, environmentalist freak and I tend to disagree with most of your posts. (Sorry, no offense.)Yet I could have written an almost identical criticism of the people I know. The only difference is that I wouldn't single out Christian teens specifically-- I have met kind ones and cruel ones, just like every religious or nonreligious group. I don't believe (and never have) that simply being Christian would make someone a better person. In my opinion, a religion just can't do that. So I don't feel all that let down by that fact that Christians can be just as nasty as other kids...

But differences aside, good luck to you and all teens who aren't afraid to use their brain! If only the rest of the world would do the same...

~Aiane~

 
At Wed Aug 17, 10:40:00 PM, Blogger jacob.thrasher said...

Nice to meet you, Aiane! Good to hear from a liberal atheist who feels the same way I do!

The reason I single out Christian kids in this area is that, as Christians, they are to set an example. If they don't portray Christianity as it truly is, then they are doing a disservice to other Christians, as well as to those who are not Christians.

It's true, everyone should respect each other, not just Christians. However, Christians should have more motivation to do so than other religious groups, because of the nature of the Christian religion. For example, correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that atheistic/agnostic teens have no set moral code, and no reason to show respect toward each others beyond what their own consciences tell them (and perhaps rules of interaction that someone in authority sets for them).

This isn't to say that true Christianity is legalistic; the basis of Christianity (and many people's disillusionment with Christianity) is the need for Christians to act as Christians, but their freedom to act as though they aren't. Christianity requires no works; a Christian can fall in step perfectly with the rude, disrespectful, even stupid people of the world, and still be a Christian. However, this leads others to (incorrectly) associate Christianity with rudeness, disrespect, stupidity, or whatever other problem they see in a Christian.

So you are correct in that a no religion, Christianity included, can "magically" transform all of its adherents into perfect people. The beauty of Christianity is in all it stands for, and its grace for those who can't exemplify it (which includes, uh, everyone). I find it very interesting that Christianity promises no retribution to anyone who wrongs it, whether that person is a Christian who paints an inaccurate picture of Christianity with his actions, or a person who oppresses Christianity (the story of Peter trying to defend Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane comes to mind; Peter attacked one of the men sent to arrest Jesus, but Jesus healed the man and reprimanded Peter).

In summary, this would explain my problem with Christian kids being as nasty as the world, along with what I said in my post about showing love and compassion to these "nasty" Christian kids. If I don't show them love and compassion, then I am doing the same thing they are doing when they fail to show love and compassion to others (whether Christian or not). Again I say, the basis of Christianity is in the need for Christians to act as Christians, but their freedom to act as though they aren't.

Am I making any sense? I think I've used way too many words derived from the term "Christian." Ah well.

Say, do you have a blog? If not, then you should... the blogosphere needs you to balance out the likes of the Toad-meister. ;)

It's good to hear your point of view. Good luck to you as well, as you use your brain unashamedly. (you wouldn't happen to be homeschooled, would you?)

Oh, and...

"I do think it's interesting that we share the same opinion on this--considering that I'm a liberal, atheist, environmentalist freak and I tend to disagree with most of your posts. (Sorry, no offense.)"

None taken.
:-)

 
At Thu Aug 18, 01:54:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I understand what you mean about people misrepresenting Christianity-- it works the same way with any other organization. It's disrespectful to associate yourself with a group of people if you don't actually share their intentions. It risks giving the group in question a bad name which they probably don't deserve.

There's just one point that I have to clarify:

"For example, correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that atheistic/agnostic teens have no set moral code, and no reason to show respect toward each others beyond what their own consciences tell them."

Isn't that the way it is with everybody? There are two reasons that people choose to identify themselves with a specific belief system: A) They were raised with that belief system and never questioned it, or B) They already had a personal moral code that matched that of the religion in question. If they didn't, they would never have chosen to join a group with a different code of ethics.

So by that reasoning, ALL people are driven solely by their conscience. Your conscience drives you to choose your religion.(For the purposes of this discussion we will discount the people in group A, who are basically following blindly whatever they are told.)Religion doesn't change one's morals, it simply conforms to them. Religion is never a cause of good behavior-- if a person consciously chooses to follow a faith which teaches kindness, for example, they would probably would have been a kind person anyway.

Atheism is a very general belief, and atheists come in all types. Most, contrary to popular belief, actually have a VERY strong personal code of ethics. In my opinion, at least, it's actually more motivating to be accountable to yourself than to a god or goddess. If you mess up, it's your responsibilty alone.

Sorry for going off on a bit of a philosophy rant. And no, I'm not homeschooled, although I could be if I wanted to. I figure if I can survive public school, I can survive anything! ;)

~Aiane~

ps. I tried blogging and soon found out I didn't have the time or the motivation. So now I just go around commenting on other people's blogs, and keep a record of comments on what used to be my blog... long story short, it only has three posts on it and I won't be going public for a while yet. =/

 
At Thu Aug 18, 08:22:00 PM, Blogger jacob.thrasher said...

Yes, I was not suggesting that most atheists do not hold a stong personal code of ethics; simply that, as David said, it's personal. There is no set code of ethics beyond what an individual feels is right, and perhaps the rules set by those in authority.

"Isn't that the way it is with everybody? There are two reasons that people choose to identify themselves with a specific belief system: A) They were raised with that belief system and never questioned it, or B) They already had a personal moral code that matched that of the religion in question. If they didn't, they would never have chosen to join a group with a different code of ethics."

Ditto to David, but I would go one step further here and suggest that this is one area where Christianity differs from practically every other belief system. People are naturally not inclined to accept a Christian worldview, because it is so steeped in mercy, grace and love (none of which come easily for humans). However, each and every one of us needs the mercy, grace and love inherent in Christianity, so many people come to identify with Christianity without taking either of the two routes you mentioned.

"I figure if I can survive public school, I can survive anything! ;)"

I'm inclined to agree...
:-)

 
At Fri Aug 19, 12:14:00 PM, Blogger Derby said...

Sounds like great people. I had a similar experience at Patrick Henry College.

Interestingly enough, I went in pretty much a Rush Limbaugh conservative, I came out of PHC a bit more "liberal" and libertarian, which would be much to Mike Farris's dismay.. but I just got fed up with modern conservatism that is just a reaction to modern liberalism, and liberalism that is just a reaction to conservatism.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.


Take the MIT Weblog Survey Federal Social Security Calculator

Powered by Blogger

Who Links Here Religion Blog Top Sites Whose values?