Thursday, July 14, 2005

So Now I'm "It"...

I have officially been tagged, by none other than Jennifer of Jennifer's Musings! Sorry I took so long to type this...

Number of books I own: You know, I'm really not sure... And I don't feel like searching and counting... Let's say that I own about 20 books personally, and there are probably 150 books in the whole house. I receive several magazines though (including WORLD Magazine, which I highly recommend), and I read them constantly. I'm presently working on getting more books, though in the past I've mainly borrowed books from the library.

Last book I bought: Lord of the Flies by William Golding. Wonderful book, as it was both entertaining and thought provoking. I nearly bought The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis, but I figured I'd wait on that...

Books I like: Well, I must say I greatly enjoyed The Chronicles of Narnia, and I plan on reading them again. I like Lord of the Flies, as I've already stated. Um... Anything by Frank Peretti... He's just about the only current author that I can say I like. I am very much a fan of George Orwell's Animal Farm, for its creative depiction of Communism. I must admit that I also enjoyed reading Silas Marner, as it was a well-written and entertaining story. I am beginning to take an interest in some of Shakespeare's plays, such as Twelfth Night, as well.

Last book I read: The Metamorphosis, by Franz Kafka. Quite a bizarre little book, but I enjoyed it. Seemed to be something of a critique of society, involving a man who mysteriously changed into a giant roach. Hey, I told you it was bizarre...

Books I plan to read (added this one myself): I plan to read some Asimov books, some Ayn Rand, some C. S. Lewis and some Schaeffer, The Federalist Papers, as many classics as I can get my hands on, and I PROMISE that one day I will finish Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville. Democracy in America was the first book to ever defeat me; the page-long sentences got to me before page 75. I will finish it though. Any suggestions as to where to start with my reading of Asimov, Rand, Lewis and Schaeffer? Any other books or authors you'd suggest?

Well, there you have it! I believe S. Lewis asked me what books I like quite a while back... Hey, at least I finally answered!

Now I get to tag people, right? I'm not sure how many to tag, so I'm just gonna tag as many as I want. Sometimes ignorance really IS bliss...

Okay, I tag Seth at Standing Up for Nothing, Stephen Lewis at The Mouth of Iron, DagneyT at Dagney's Rant, and David S. MacMillan III at D3's Blog.

In addition, I'd like to tag Grizzly Mama (does a homeschooling mom have TIME to read?), Serendipitous (you know I'm not letting you escape un-tagged), and TheLoneAmigo (what is my friendly arch-nemesis from Australia reading, anyway?).

So there you have it. If I didn't tag you and you're wondering why, it's because I had to leave someone for my victims to tag! :-)

Have fun!
Neo

COMMENT POLICY

Please refrain from the use of foul language. Any failure to comply will result in comment deletion.

5 Comments:

At Fri Jul 15, 12:06:00 AM, Blogger Clive Dangerously said...

Michael Chrichton(Jurassic Park, Timeline, etc.) is decent, if you're into that type of thing. But please, for the love of Mike, don't read him or not read him based on your opinions of the movies. My favorite book by him is Airframe, but most of them are worth a read.

 
At Fri Jul 15, 01:35:00 AM, Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Arrgghh. I thought I'd escaped this one clean.....

Asimov - is he the Robot series guy? If so - then the Robot series is great. 'I, Robot' is a good place to start.

Metamorphoses is a great story. I didn't read it until I was 30.

I do read - usually a paragraph or two in bed before I fall asleep. Many times I wake up in the a.m. sitting in the same position with the book in my lap and my chin on my chest.

 
At Fri Jul 15, 09:32:00 AM, Blogger United We Lay said...

May sound condesending, but it's great to see young people reading such a wide variety of books. I'm sure it has a lot to do with homeschooling, but it's nice to see that people are still well-read. Though, people would still say no one gets an education until they travel!

 
At Sat Jul 16, 11:12:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neo--you didn't read Screwtape letters!? How unfortunate...I'm reading them right now for the first time and they are excellent. I would urge you to put off reading that book no longer. I would also say that I am also a huge fan of Chronicles of Narnia. One of the best children’s literature that there is, it was one of the main things that influenced me in my early childhood.

 
At Sun Jul 17, 11:33:00 PM, Blogger TheLoneAmigo said...

Hey, sorry for not doing this, been away on homeschooling camp.

Writing it now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.


Take the MIT Weblog Survey Federal Social Security Calculator

Powered by Blogger

Who Links Here Religion Blog Top Sites Whose values?