Sunday, May 14, 2006

Voting with Your Dollar

So yeah... The Da Vinci Code is coming out in theatres this Friday. But then, you all knew that by now... I'm just the guy that comes in and announces the event to make himself feel important, even though it's too late to do any good. I've never claimed to specialize in 'breaking news.'

Too much pressure.

Anyway, I have a job for all my faithful blog readers: When The Da Vinci Code comes out, let's all... well, let's ignore it. If you really need a reason, then just listen to Brandon Booth of Worldview Academy, who says this:

In just a few short days the movie “The Da Vinci Code” is coming to theaters. What will you do?

If you’re smart, you’ll ignore it... Don’t vote for it with your dollars and tell Hollywood that you want more of this garbage. You don’t have to be vocal about it, just quietly treat it the way you treat the National Inquirer in the checkout isle, pass by it with a chuckle.

Oh, and if you want to read the book, borrow it please.

Fair enough, I'd say. I've always thought the uproar about The Da Vinci Code was a bit overkill, since it's just a book (and now a movie) that is repeating a theory that's been around for quite a long time. I think we'd do a lot more good if we ignored the book and movie rather than working ourselves into a frenzy about it. That way, we could focus our energy on defending ourselves against the ideas that this work of fiction could conceivably propogate.

Dan Brown had every right to write the book, which he admits is a work of fiction. Ron Howard had every right to direct the movie. If you don't like it, I would suggest exercising your own rights: Namely, the right to ignore the book and movie, and the right to prepare yourself to defend against its inaccurate portrayal of Christ.

Please note that this doesn't mean shouting about how stupid and untrue the book is. Fiction generally is untrue, and getting upset about this fact might be a bit counterproductive. You might also avoid trying to get the book banned, as I'm sure there are many books which are far more offensive than The Da Vinci Code sitting on your local bookstore's shelves.

So let's just ignore it. We'll ignore the book, and we'll ignore the movie, and if people start believing that Jesus married Mary Magdalene and that French Royalty was descended from them, then we'll explain how those ideas are untrue, and how a recent book that was admittedly fictitious makes a poor foundation for one's theology.

Ignoring The Da Vinci Code is the most effective way of opposing it. And it's rather thrifty too, because if you ignore it, you will save money. On the other hand, buying an admission ticket, or making signs to thrust in the face of those who do, requires money.

And then there's the gas it takes to get to the theatre in the first place. Gas prices are killer.

And driving kills the environment. Trees die.

And don't we all have better things to do with our time anyway?

So please, ignore the movie. Do it for the trees.

COMMENT POLICY

Please refrain from the use of foul language. Any failure to comply will result in comment deletion.

11 Comments:

At Mon May 15, 08:52:00 AM, Blogger RobertDWood said...

Or go watch another good movie on.

Wait, there aren't any.

*angry at the lack of star wars*

 
At Mon May 15, 09:04:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, I am going to watch it anyway, just because I will have nothing better to do. To me, its just a movie. I am not saying "Hey, this story's ideas about Christianity are really good!" In fact, I know that they are all lies.
I am going to start reading the book soon, also, because I will have nothing better to do.
If you want to ignore it, fine. I don't really care. However, I will be going to see it because it is a movie, which is supposed to be entertaining, not real.
But yeah, I am tired of everyone making a big deal about the book/movie..I mean, come on! If it were true, why would the author say himself that it isn't?
So, I will be watching it, and I will even tell you how it is. Just know that I am not supporting the movie's false concepts about Christianity.
-Duke

 
At Mon May 15, 10:27:00 AM, Blogger jacob.thrasher said...

Haha Duke, I think it's fair to say you missed my point...

Paying to see a movie is essentially telling Hollywood that you want to see more movies like it, and even Evilchibichan thinks it will be worthless.

And trees are great ;-)

 
At Mon May 15, 10:56:00 AM, Blogger Camille said...

Okay, I agree with you in a way, and disagree with you in a way. Yes, we should not go see the movie and "vote for it with our dollar," but I don't think we can totally ignore the whole craze about TDVC because many people actually believe that garbage. As Moloney says, the people believe that book are getting mushroom treatment. They are placed in a dark room and fed rubbish. So no, I'm not seeing the movie, but I think that Christians need to proclaim the truth about Jesus. Erwin Lutzer calls this whole Da Vinci craze the most serious attack on the Bible in his day. That's pretty deadly when people believe it.

~Nella

 
At Mon May 15, 11:49:00 AM, Blogger jacob.thrasher said...

You're right, Ednella, we can't ignore the craze... but I think we'd do well to ignore the movie. The craze, I believe, would be best dealt with by ignoring the movie, borrowing the book (if we must read it), and equipping ourselves to properly deal with the ideas that some people will take away from the book and the movie.

No doubt, we should proclaim the truth.

 
At Mon May 15, 12:35:00 PM, Blogger nate said...

If you're dead-set on watching or reading then check the book out from the library, then in a few months when the movie comes out on dvd, if you're still curious, borrow it from a friend.

 
At Tue May 16, 08:53:00 AM, Blogger RobertDWood said...

Not to sound like a nut here, but I saw a bilboard on the way home today for the Da Vinci Code. "Learn the real story" was across the top, with the two main characters ont he right, with the 'Da Vinci Code' on the left.
Disturbing, I thought it was supposed to be fiction.

 
At Tue May 16, 02:39:00 PM, Blogger jacob.thrasher said...

Er... that IS disturbing...

 
At Wed May 17, 09:30:00 PM, Blogger Clive Dangerously said...

No other good movies? Um, duh, The Last Stand comes out just one short week later. One short exam week later. Well, it's definitely going to be good if Storm is crushed by falling rubble in the first minute. Wow, I cannot stand Halle Berry.

 
At Wed Jun 21, 04:11:00 PM, Blogger Lydia said...

I would definitely avoid it. Not because I'm afraid of it, but because according to me, it ain't worth it. I don't think Hollywood needs any encouragement to make wrong movies! Plus, it is absolutely 100% fabricated fantasy with no factual backup. And ya, trees are a good excuse!! ;)

~DF

 
At Thu Jun 29, 02:57:00 PM, Blogger Toad734 said...

Ummm, Star Wars isn't real, why didn't you boycott that?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.


Take the MIT Weblog Survey Federal Social Security Calculator

Powered by Blogger

Who Links Here Religion Blog Top Sites Whose values?