Sunday, April 23, 2006

Top 10 Reasons Why You Should Blog

Blogs are great. I'm serious. They're absolutely great. In fact, I think they're so great that I'm dedicating this post to convincing my non-blogging readers that they should create their own blog. Having blogged for very nearly two years now, I should hope that I understand some of the benefits to blogging, and so with my usual pompous assumption that I know something you don't, I shall proceed to tell you why you all should blog.

10.) It's a great way to improve your writing. It's true! My writing style has grown in leaps and bounds since my first ventures into the world of commenting on blogs, and writing my own (thankfully) ignored rants in my isolated corner of the blogosphere. Please, don't try to imagine my writing style BEFORE I started blogging... It could lead to high blood pressure. And don't visit my old posts in my archives either... they're like cyber-cholesterol.

9.) It helps your college professors feel important. After all, unless you are the most boring blogger on the planet, your writing style will not be able to transfer to English 101, so your professor gets to feel quite powerful as he teaches you how to write "academically."

8.) It improves your vocabulary. Within a few short days of blogging, most bloggers discover that "blog" is actually short for "weblog." Soon thereafter, you'll learn the meaning of the term "hat tip," and if you're one of those annoying overachiever types, you'll probably even figure out what the heck "WYSIWYG" stands for.

7.) You can laugh at people who don't know what a blog is.

6.) You can laugh at people who think Myspace is a reputable blog service.

5.) It helps you network with awesome and extremely intelligent people. After all, we all need someone to help us write papers or fend off trolls from time to time.

4.) It gives you a reason to take your laptop into one of those hip internet cafes now. You know, the ones where you always wanted to go before, but couldn't because you'd immediately be labeled a poser by the guy looking over your shoulder?

3.) It gets rid of all that pesky free time. 'Cause we all know there are too many hours in the day to begin with...

2.) It's a great way to vent your anger after a really bad day. And, if you're mad at someone in particular, it's a convenient way to bring your grievances to light without seeming confrontational. "Oh, you mean you read my blog? Wow..."

1.) You'll meet the love of your life, and run away together to live happily ever after. ... Okay, so I made that one up. But you might end up with a stalker or two.

COMMENT POLICY

Please refrain from the use of foul language. Any failure to comply will result in comment deletion.

10 Comments:

At Mon Apr 24, 12:40:00 AM, Blogger Kierstyn Paulino said...

Haha! good Job!

but you forgot to mention that the Bloggers are VERY influential in election time :D

Blogging is awesome!

Kp

 
At Mon Apr 24, 09:34:00 AM, Blogger RobertDWood said...

I'm not sure if making professors feel more important is a good thing. :D

I'm sure these weren't your reasons when you started blogging. What were those?

 
At Mon Apr 24, 03:47:00 PM, Blogger Josiah said...

LOL @ number 6.

 
At Mon Apr 24, 05:47:00 PM, Blogger Kaitlin said...

Hehehe! You forgot that you also make some awesome friends while blogging, well, I guess that you kind of said it in number 5.

Great job Neo!

 
At Mon Apr 24, 07:23:00 PM, Blogger Bryce said...

Funny post! I can personally empathize with many of them...but certainly not the one about free time. I try to fit 18 hours of work/etc. and 10 hours of sleep into a 24 hour day. I have only been successful a couple of times.

 
At Mon Apr 24, 08:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Er, what does "WYSIWYG" stand for?

-Coie

 
At Mon Apr 24, 08:58:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

@coie: What You See Is What You Get

Unless, of course, you were being sarcastic. If that is the case, disregard this post... =P

 
At Mon Apr 24, 10:48:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally laughing at myself...No I wasn't being sarcastic, and even after your explanation I was sitting there staring at it thinking you were telling me to look at it better and sound it out or something. That's just about the dumbest acronym I've ever seen. :D

Nice post btw, Neo.

 
At Wed May 03, 04:19:00 PM, Blogger paradoxically correct said...

Yeeaah... So I've been away on vacation and I need to read all these posts that appear as soon as I'm gone. And for that matter, I might as well comment. Go me.

There's actually nothing like #10. Change that to 'influential friends who you just very well may meet some day if you move to their state'. :D How...ever... for those sentimentally oriented females who learn to blog by watching others . . . you very well might have something there.

All in all, blogging has taught me that triviality encased in enigmatic terms is perfect material to post.

>_> Fine. I might as well post on my own blog instead of commenting at everyone else's.

 
At Fri Jun 24, 02:57:00 AM, Anonymous Katy said...

for number ten, it has happened! One of the most famous bloggers: Xiaxue, is married to someone who was a blog reader, then they fell in love

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.


Take the MIT Weblog Survey Federal Social Security Calculator

Powered by Blogger

Who Links Here Religion Blog Top Sites Whose values?