Wednesday, December 28, 2005

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Oh my... Never has there been a movie that I wanted more desperately to like. As a matter of fact, I have seen The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe in theatres twice now, and would see it again, if given the chance. Needless to say, I loved the movie, but my view of it may well be tainted by the fact that I have always loved the Chronicles of Narnia, and was positively thrilled when I heard there was to be a series of movies based on them. So, with my bias in mind, read on.

Overall, I was pleased with The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, which I will henceforth call "Narnia" for ease of typing. It did at times stray from the book, but in many cases, the tangents taken were beneficial to the story, revealing things about the characters which could not have been revealed otherwise, except through the use of a narrator (which, for the record, I would not have minded in the least).

I did notice some issues with Narnia, however, that struck me as being particularly grievous transgressions against the original work. Though many of the additions or omissions that the movie made helped it move along at a decent rate, some of those changes were not only unnecessary but detrimental to the story. One such change was the addition of the opening scenes, which take place in the Pevensies' home with their mother.The Pevensies', of course, are the children around whom the story is centered. Peter Pevensie is the oldest of the bunch, followed by Susan, then Edmund, and finally Lucy.

In the opening scenes, we begin to see the dynamics of the family's relationship. In particular, these scenes set the tone for the relationship between Peter and Edmund, and regrettably, this addition to the movie starts them out on the wrong foot. If you have not seen the movie and want to watch it without knowing how it begins, then I suggest you skip the following three paragraphs.

The setting is WWII England, and the movie opens as bombs are being dropped and the children are at home with their mother. In the midst of the explosions, the Pevensies do as any sensible family at the time would do, and rush to the bomb shelter. All, that is, except Edmund.

Edmund dashes back in the house, obviously intent upon saving something or someone inside: "I've got to get dad!" He says, or something to that effect. As he runs back inside, Peter volunteers to retrieve him, and gives chase. Peter eventually catches him, but not before Edmund reaches his destination. Edmund grabs a picture of his father, and is soon taken back to the shelter by Peter.

Upon reaching the shelter amidst the explosions, Edmund cowers on the ground as Peter scolds him: "You're so selfish!... Why can't you just do as you're told?" And this is the beginning of an inaccurate portrayal of Peter and Edmund's relationship. It may seem harmless, but it (along with subsequent incidents involving Peter and/or Edmund) ends up changing the entire theme of the movie in at least a small way.

I believe the problems that exist with Edmund's character are most aptly described by Stephen Lewis in his (decidedly unfavorable) review of Narnia:

It’s very important that the full ‘Asmodeus-ish fishy fume’ stench of Edmund’s evil is portrayed in its entirety, because Aslan is ultimately What Edmund (and by extension, us) Is Not: completely pure and holy, even frighteningly so. Aslan’s goodness is accentuated all the more by the emphasis on Edmund’s badness. This is really essential to the story’s meaning.

But Edmund Was Wrong. In the movie, Edmund is portrayed as largely misunderstood, upset and confused by the war-time situation he finds himself in; missing his father and mother enormously. His brother seems to spend an inordinate amount of time yelling and nagging at him for the most picayune offenses. He seems very lonely. All this combines to lessen the magnitude of his treachery—it would be hard to blame him for his actions, tempered as they are with his ignorance of the Witch’s intentions and his immediate repentance once he figures out what she intends. Edmund’s not really a bad chap.
And so, Stephen articulates so well what I find wrong with Edmund's portrayal; as a matter of fact, his entire review is well-worth reading.

Let us now add to Edmund's inadequate portrayal another mistake: A small but evident superiority complex on the part of Peter. This is made most evident during the scene at the waterfall, an addition that I felt was otherwise beneficial to the story. In this scene, Susan objects to hastily crossing the thawing river, saying "I'm just trying to be logical about this," to which Peter replies "No, you're trying to be smart... as usual." This exchange serves no good purpose... it presents for us a kind of friction that was not present in the book, and makes Peter's snubbing of Edmund, which could otherwise be excusable as a result of Edmund's antics, seem more like a problem he has with those who object to his authority. No, this exchange was not good; it was not good in terms of storytelling, and it was not good in terms of faithfulness to the theme of C. S. Lewis's original book.

Those are my objections to the storyline of the movie. A misunderstood Edmund and a small superiority complex for Peter. That's it, really, and for a movie these days, that's simply spectacular! However, I would like to briefly take issue with some lesser offenses on the part of Narnia...

First, there is Aslan. Make him bigger. Please. And somebody give him a deeper voice! He is described as being terrible, and yet good. He is Aslan, after all.

Also, I would have personally advocated a bit more blood in this movie. Nothing gratuitous, but enough to make the point; after all, with all the talk of "traitor's blood," for Aslan to give himself in a bloodless sacrifice makes the movie seem self-consciously... fuzzy and warm, if that makes sense. I understand that this was intended to be family fare, but it could have depicted Aslan's sacrifice within tasteful boundaries without keeping it completely bloodless.

During the sacrifice scene, I would have also appreciated a better representation of Aslan's power than a simple snarl. In Lewis's book, he mentions repeatedly that Aslan was powerful enough to kill all present, but saw fit to humble himself as a sacrifice. This aspect, crucial to the scene, was regrettably not well depicted; to the movie's credit, though, such a point would be hard to depict without the aid of a narrator. Which is why I said earlier that I wouldn't have minded a narrator for this movie in the least.

Does it sound like I hated this movie yet? I hope not... Even after spending the majority of this review describing Narnia's shortcomings, I will still unabashedly say that this was an EXCELLENT movie. The casting was superb, in my opinion; every character (save perhaps Aslan) was just as I had imagined him or her, and almost everyone I have talked to feels the same way. Similarly, the scene at the pavilion were beautifully done, and conformed perfectly to what I had imagined when I read the book so long ago.

Despite my objections, the storyline of the movie actually followed that of the book very closely. Some might disagree, but anyone attempting to make a movie from Lewis's book would have to take quite a bit of liberty to begin with, considering Lewis's "almost vague" writing style. In this movie, director Andrew Adamson and Walden Media did an outstanding job of portraying a written story on film, without significantly straying from the original theme.

So yes, Edmund seemed a little misunderstood; yes, Peter came off as being a little too big for his britches; and yes, Aslan was a little, shall we say, wimpier than I had expected. Still, these are forgivable offenses considering the movie's many virtues, Lewis's writing style, and the fact that many movie-goers won't catch on to these discrepancies with the original story anyway. Simply put, Narnia is one of the best movies to come out of Hollywood in quite some time, and thankfully rivals another fantasy series that I never fell quite so in love with, The Lord of the Rings. With that in mind, I will wait with bated breath for the next installment of the Narnia series, which is slated to be Prince Caspian.

My rating for The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe: 8.5 out of 10

COMMENT POLICY

Please refrain from the use of foul language. Any failure to comply will result in comment deletion.

30 Comments:

At Thu Dec 29, 04:34:00 AM, Blogger Emily said...

This is a fabulous review! I haven't seen it yet though. I'm almost scared, really. Though everyone says it's pretty great minus, of course, a few bits that are forgivable. However, being the optimist I am, there's still plenty Narnia books left for them to mangle.
Man, why do they have to make movies of things anyways?? It was perfectly fine as a book.
But of course I'll probably go see it and love it, just like everyone else. It IS Narnia, after all.

 
At Thu Dec 29, 11:51:00 AM, Blogger Clive Dangerously said...

They made it into a movie either to make oodles and oodles of money or because they wanted to expose a wider audience to the story. I like to think in most cases it's the second, but that's just me being optimistic.

 
At Thu Dec 29, 01:33:00 PM, Blogger IchobanaRose said...

I agree wholeheartedly with this review, escept for the bit about Lord of the Rings, and someone needs to carp about the costumes!

Most of the costumes were great, very Narnian, but the White Witch's costume, in my opinion, needed a lot of help. it was so...rigid, and with her cloak on, her dress made her look like she had a large hunched back, and it looked like her collar bone stuck out much further than the average person's

Ok, so she wasn't human, but her dress made her look largely disfigured, and isn't she supposed to be like "icily beautiful" or something like that?

Also, though this has nothing to do with the costumes, and is only minor, I didn't like the way the half-humanoid creatures moved. The centaurs moved as if they had hot coal under all four feet, not at all like a horse.

These are forgiveable, however, and otherwise, the movie was great. I'm going to see it again, most definitely.

 
At Thu Dec 29, 02:39:00 PM, Blogger RobertDWood said...

The only gripe I had was the sound track. UUUUGH.

Aslan was almost perfect, just sorta small.

And peter was right, susan was wierd, and edmund was a jerk.

 
At Thu Dec 29, 02:43:00 PM, Blogger Lewis said...

Really good review, Neo.

I agree that the ‘sibling strife’ that the scriptwriters felt obligated to include was awkward and unnecessary. Perhaps they thought that as the Pevensie children in the story are a trifle flat and lifeless, they needed “spicing up” a bit. A little silly, in my opinion, but what do I know.

The Aslan stuff was pretty crucial; since it’s Aslan that provides the entire meaning of the story (as C. S. Lewis once wrote, his visions of Narnia started with “a great golden lion”), it’s obviously important to get him right. Especially, I think, in the sacrifice scene. As you noted, it should be apparent that Aslan could have easily slain all of his tormentors, but instead chose not to. Also, the sacrifice scene needs to be much more horrifying. The audience should feel that the world has turned upside down, that all is now lost. Aslan, the great Lord and King, is DEAD. Dead in a way that seems utterly pointless—dying for the miserable Edmund. We should feel some outrage towards Edmund: thanks to him, all of Narnia is doomed. What a little snot. And then, the resurrection scene would be immensely more meaningful. All is not lost, Aslan LIVES!!

But to do the scene justice, a strong PG-13 rating would have been required, in order to adequately portray all the terror and despair, but the directors decided to keep it staunchly in the PG category—thereby losing much of its power, but keeping it more marketable.

I guess I have to admit that my disliking the film stems not so much for what it is, but what it could have been. There is such an inherent richness in it, that with a little careful handling, the film could have been one of the greatest Christian movies of all time. Instead, it’s a kid-friendly fantasy. Oh well.

 
At Thu Dec 29, 07:38:00 PM, Blogger Lindsey said...

I agree with you on all those points. I loved the movie, though, despite its small shortcomings!! Oh, yes, and I totally agree with Book-bound about the Witch's seriously distasteful choice of dresses...the costumes could have been improved a whole lot, in my opinion, more LOTR style... but oh well, that isn't such a big issue, and the only costume I truly hated was the Witch's.

 
At Thu Dec 29, 09:47:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Book Bound Idiot on the White Witch's costume! It was a horrible costume, and while I can see that they wanted to make her look evil, that isn't the way that evil presents itself. In most cases evil presents itself as something pretty (at least) and good. Not something that is ugly and bad, who wants to entangle themselves in evil! if the white witch wanted everyone to know that she was evil, she would have been the BLACK witch, don't ya think?

and one more thing with the white witch, I think that they didn't do the greatest job on when she went to Aslan to retrieve Edmund for betraying his brother and sisters. I think that they could have shown exactly how great Aslan was by over exaggerating how afraid the white witch is of aslan. In the book, she never looks him in the eye, and she runs for her life at the end of the scene... I don't know, just a little disappointed in it... but just a little.

And as for the movie as a whole, it's great. I agree with Neo on all the things he has to say in his review.

 
At Fri Dec 30, 12:22:00 AM, Blogger Grizzly Mama said...

Thank you for that wonderful review Neo - from you and all of the contributors!

We haven't seen it yet - my oldest daughter just finished the last book in the series. She has loved it - as I did when I was young.

It sounds as though it's definitely worth seeing despite it's flaws.

I wish everyone here a joyous and blessed New Year!

 
At Fri Dec 30, 10:15:00 AM, Blogger Lewis said...

Whoops! Neo, would you mind deleting my first comment? I posted it, it didn't go through (I thought), so I revised it and reposted.

Urgh.

On another note, it’s revealing that the producers want us to identify with Peter—pulling the Spiderman “with great power (or in Peter’s case, great potential power as potential High King) comes great responsibility” line. Peter doesn’t want to “be a hero”, he just wants to go home. But, bolstered by a sense of duty, Peter decides to “stick it out”, and “see the adventure through”—despite his fears, his insecurities, and his untried leadership. Moral: “You can be a hero, too!” and “There’s a little bit of hero in all of us!”

Certainly very inspiring, but I thought that it was Edmund, not Peter, that we were to identify with.

 
At Fri Dec 30, 01:40:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw Narnia the day after Christmas and I loved it! I must admit that I haven't read the books but I have seen the older movie and my sister and I have had discussions about the books.

Personally I really liked Aslans voice. I found it to be strong, yet soothing and reassuring which is what I would picture it to be as he is portraying Jesus. As far as the White Witch's costume goes. She looked freaky. End of story. Does anyone know what the heck she was? As in was she an animal? If so what type? And Peter comment to Susan at the waterfall was extremely bothersome to me also. She’s trying to do the smart thing and that’s a problem because…?

It was a good movie. I want to see it again. Oh and I have a best friend that looks exactly like Susan...and her little sister looks like Lucy. Go figure.

 
At Fri Dec 30, 04:18:00 PM, Blogger The Patriot said...

My sister and I went to see it without high expectations (my sister doesn't expect much out of movies today and usually just sees them to "veg out" :) and I loved it. Yeah, there's the whole Aslan thing, but on the whole, I think we should all be very impressed with how close Disney came to making a Godly movie... and promoting C.S. Lewis at the same time!

Classic books will always remain so much differant (and often better) in our minds than the movies.

 
At Fri Dec 30, 04:47:00 PM, Blogger jacob.thrasher said...

BBI,

My problem with LOTR is simply Tolkien's writing style. It's like he takes me for an idiot, spelling everything out rather than allowing me to imagine some of it for myself. I'm not stupid, I can use my imagination and read at the same time.

I did notice that Jadis should have been a little more "icily beautiful." Still well-cast though, IMHO. We didn't need Julia Roberts to play the White Witch.

Stephen,

I agree with you on every point. I too am disappointed because of what it could have been, but I don't want to lose sight of what it is either, hence my positive review. Perhaps one day, someone will make yet another version of Narnia, and make it as it truly is.

Ser,

Jadis is supposedly half-Jinn and half-giant. A Jinn is essentially a genie... though I highly doubt the Jinn resembled anything from Aladdin. :-)

 
At Sat Dec 31, 06:47:00 AM, Blogger D2M said...

It's coming to the theater on base here sooooonish! AAAHHH I WANT TO SEE IT! AAAH! (I totally missed Harry Potter and will have to live with getting the DVD version..)

Keep in mind that they've probably edited stuff out too. I bet they'll have oodles of cut scenes on the CD when it comes out. (Fun fun...)

 
At Sat Dec 31, 04:08:00 PM, Blogger IchobanaRose said...

hm. It was alright, I guess. I thought the special effects needed work, though.

 
At Sat Dec 31, 06:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great movie! Haven't read the book, though, so I don't know any different.

 
At Sun Jan 01, 03:34:00 PM, Blogger Emily said...

So, I saw the movie and got really annoyed, especially at the friction between all the Pevensie kids...like, it really bothered me. I also had a problem with the landscapes... I wish they could have set it somewhere like LOTR did with New Zealand, because I could definitely tell what were the many sets and CGI backdrops.
So, I think they should have left it as a book, but that's me.
Actually, on a positive note, Aslan was pretty well done, and the witch absolutely rocked, minus her first costume.

 
At Sun Jan 01, 03:54:00 PM, Blogger Matt said...

Am I the only one who thought Peter with a sword acted like 13 yr. old girl straight out of a tea party?

Wasn't it just pathetic when the "Chief of the Secret Police" suicidally ran into Peter's limply held sword? I thought this made Peter look like a dork and it made Fenris Ulf a weak enemy. If the Witch's right hand critter is that stupid and pathetic why was anyone afraid of the Witch's minions?

 
At Tue Jan 03, 12:24:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily,

they did shoot narnia in New zeeland, But keep in mind they mighta just shot back grounds and blue screeened the rest.. or use special effects with all the half humans and magical creatures,

Neo,

good review, but i think LOTR was of much higher caliber and narnia cant even begin to compare so why bother. We were spoiled having 3 magnificent movies premier 3 years in a row, and hollywood is just scrounging to keep the momentum going and reel in the cash.

The white witch did have an odd beauty to her... but she was sickly in the fact her skin tones were gray and icicles were growing iff ehr eyes and hair.

The reepy part for me was right at the very end seeing the children all grown up and playing on their horses, then stumble across the lamp post and the land of "Spar Oom" and then meta morph into little children and no time having past.

 
At Tue Jan 03, 05:01:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i really like this movie!! i didn't read the books and i didn't know anything about it before i went to see it...well, i gotta go, but drop me a comment every now and then!!
~nicole~

 
At Wed Jan 04, 11:13:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Add sodomite behavior to a pulp fiction western and it becomes "smart"?
yeah, right.....

 
At Wed Jan 04, 01:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Neo, that was a great point about Edmund and Peter. Now that you mention it, it does make Peter out to be more of a bad guy in need of redemption, and partially excuses Edmund.

But I personally never liked how Lewis portrayed Edmund and thought the movie handled that element better. Whether Edmund is deviously treacherous or simply misguided, sin is sin, and that was depicted nicely in the movie. After all, all Adam and Eve did was disobey a simple commandment, resulting in the corruption of the universe.

Your point about Aslan is good, it wouldn't have hurt to make him more formidable. But Jesus "had no comelyness" as He went to the cross, so maybe this was OK.

I wish they would have given the talking animals animalistic qualities to their voices instead of human voices. The Beavers should have had a beaver quality, and Alsan should have somehow sounded leonine. But all these are quibbles. Here's my review if you're interested. l8r, jayfromcleveland

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/jayfromcleveland/55231/

 
At Wed Jan 04, 04:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If only you can wait 'till the elevnteenth of Neverwerry.

 
At Thu Jan 05, 10:33:00 AM, Blogger T. Suzanne Eller said...

Would you consider adding http://412live.blogspot.com as a link? Love your site.

T. Suzanne Eller, author of Real Teens, Real Stories, Real Life

 
At Thu Jan 05, 11:49:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Edited for OT randomness

Also, please allow my last comment about "Brokeback Mountain" to stay. I didn't mean to spark "Anonymous" to start another off-topic conversation, but i feel that he/she is being extremely ignorant. Sorry if he/she is your mom or dad or someone close to you, but the ignorance is actually really pissing me off. I'm not defending or trying to justify homosexuality (or the cruel simplifaction of complex and likeable characters as "sodomites"), I'm defending a movie about a story with a message which actually is both "smart" and important. Anonymous's comment was pretty off topic also, so I see nothing wrong with mine.

I don't care if you post this or not, but I don't expect you to.

 
At Thu Jan 05, 02:05:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess it was off-topic; sorry, Neo. It kinda went that way when the sodo-western was brought into the conversation. I'll leave the un-needed justification of right vs. wrong behavior to another post.

cheers!

 
At Tue Jan 10, 05:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seemed as though they watered the Aslan down, iced the Witch up, made Edmund seem a bit more innocent, and made Peter seem mean for being sensible.

The music seemed so shallow compared to the LotR soundtrack. LotR and Howard Shore rocked. If only they'd gotten HS for the music. HS's music chills you to the bone then warms you up with deep rich notes.

Clive, they didn't make it to make money. They just didn't understand the book totally.

 
At Sun Jan 15, 12:56:00 PM, Blogger Sean said...

An effective review, I agreed with it on all points. It's largely because of the studio the film was made in (Disney) that Narnia wound up being a little weak on the fronts that it did. Disney's striving to maximize its audience by making a story that should be, by turns, awe-inspiring, frightening, and bloody into a PG film took away a lot of the effect they story might have had. Not to say I didn't like it... only that it felt like a watered down version of what it could have been. Most certainly, Aslan was more than a touch tame. Also, I don't seem to recall seeing a single drop of blood in the entire affair, even though characters were stabbed, hobbled, impaled, and generally pushed around a lot. Not that I scream for blood in everything I see, but I shake my head at Disney for making such a "safe" film. Surely something on such a grand scale as Narnia warrants a few risks?

 
At Tue Jan 17, 09:45:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a response to a post under Ray Nagins latest buffoonery:
It is entirely silly to trumpet about any reinforcement of the perversion agenda by Hollywoods elite. Of COURSE the Golden globes (as well as any other industry awards) are going to nod in favor of almost any film depicting sodomy as an acceptable practice. Anyone failing to see the pre-disposition in the entertainment industry towards loosening of collective cultural standards has their head in the sand. I guess I could say "Woah, man check it out.....Third day beat out System of a Down at the Dove awards" , but I see enough of the big picture to know that would be a self serving and silly statement.
Brokeback Mountain may be a finely crafted film, but right is still right, and wrong is still wrong.
There is always debate about the message versus the medium, form versus content. Some believe that the message conveyed by BBM is a good one, some believe that the message doesn't matter; I contend that the message is wrong, and that the message mattters. The driving force behind almost all media (advertising) is built upon the premise that people are infuenced by what they see and hear. I contend that this premise is correct.
At any rate, why would anyone be surprised by Hollywood condoning films like BBM? That takes a keen sense of the obvious.

 
At Tue Jan 17, 10:35:00 AM, Blogger jacob.thrasher said...

It's also worth noting that for these awards, BBM was facing off against crap that no one's ever seen. Come on, most of us have never even HEARD of "Crash."

As a matter of fact, the only place that BBM even COMPETED with Narnia was in the Music categories, and I don't think anyone expected Narnia to win that...

 
At Wed Jan 18, 02:43:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I guess agreeing to disagree is where it is. There is actually a very good exchange between several people in the Feb 2005 Strangely Normal Archive, under post Europes Wonderful Morals. There are numerous points made by an "anonymous" as well as a "Dave" that are so close to my position that it scares me. I won't hijack the thread here, except to say that even the term "gay" is a lie. To name a lifestyle that results in so much personal pain with a formerly pleasant term is inherently deceptive, and indicative of the mindset at work in those who would sell the lie that deviancy is acceptable.
At any rate, back to Narnia.
Looking forward to watching the movie; currently reading the books; I have to agree from the commentary I've seen, that if Aslan ain't awesome, it will somewhat disappoint. I also hope that sufficient significance is given to Edmunds redemptive conversation, and the directive Aslan gave his siblings about his past.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.


Take the MIT Weblog Survey Federal Social Security Calculator

Powered by Blogger

Who Links Here Religion Blog Top Sites Whose values?