Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Welcome to the Zoo

In my last post, I said "don't feed the animals." In case there was any doubt in your mind, these are the animals I was referring to, and they are truly animals.

I am enraged! Another beheading! It's time to hunt these troglodytes down and shoot them on sight! They have been on an unchecked rampage for too long, and it's time to bring them down!

Maybe it seems a little harsh to shoot them on sight. You must remember, though, that we are in a war, and in war, you don't ask your enemy kindly for permission to shoot him. If we capture these neanderthals, they will just be put on trial, and they almost certainly won't get the death penalty. Leniency won't win the hearts and minds of a people who view leniency as a weakness.

It has been said that we should follow the rules of war even when fighting against an enemy with no regard for such rules. While there is a lot to be said for that, I say we shoot the pigs who behead civilians. No trial, nothing. After all, they have fought for their whole lives against the system that would put them on trial, and since they don't want to be under that system, let's let them have their wish. No need for them to be under our laws, since they don't like our laws anyway. Let's just get rid of them.

That may seem harsh. It probably is. However, I am fed up with the beheadings and terrorism. I have had enough. These evil dogs don't deserve to live or be given a fair trial.

In my angry screed, let's not forget that Jesus loves even these individuals. They need to be saved. Truth is, though, that God meant for people to be punished when they kill their fellow man. Of the seven things God hates, one of them is hands that shed innocent blood. These men have done that, and they deserve to pay for that.

I am not God. I cannot and will not exact punishment on the radical Muslims who behead people. The government can, and should exact that punishment. Unruly members of society, those who pose a great an imminent danger to their peers, must be removed from society through either incarceration or execution.

If these men are found, I imagine they will be captured (assuming they don't fight to the death). In that case, they will probably receive a proper trial and be put in jail. I guess that works, so long as they are never released.

In my opinion, if we are going to punish our soldiers for humiliating (and allegedly murdering, though I haven't heard of that being conclusively proven) detainees, we should also punish our enemies, the terrorists, for beheading our citizens.

Law must prevail. The sexual immorality of our guards at Abu Ghraib was disgusting. Punish them for it. The terrorists have beheaded our civilians. Punish them for it. Our guards are under our laws, and they should be punished accordingly. The terrorists hate our law and don't want to be under it. They must be punished, but the question is how? I imagine the best way would be to try them under our law anyway.

Shooting the terrorists on sight may not be the best policy. Then again, it may be. I spoke hastily and I honestly don't know what the best punishment is in this situation. That's not for me to decide. God put the burden of punishment on the government, not me. The best thing I can do is pray that God will guide those in authority and help them know what to do.

COMMENT POLICY

Please refrain from the use of foul language. Any failure to comply will result in comment deletion.

2 Comments:

At Tue Jun 22, 02:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If there's no trial, if we have on-site executions, how do we know if the accused are guilty? Doesn't this open up room for the arbitrary abuse of executive power? What would the Founding Fathers think about this?

I think as much as we want to avenge such blatant evil, we have to do what is prudent, both morally and politically.

 
At Wed Jun 23, 01:21:00 PM, Blogger jacob.thrasher said...

You're right, Anonymous. However, I don't think we should go out of our way to capture them alive. If they resist, we shouldn't endanger our troops by trying to capture them alive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.


Take the MIT Weblog Survey Federal Social Security Calculator

Powered by Blogger

Who Links Here Religion Blog Top Sites Whose values?