Tuesday, June 15, 2004

The Paradox of the French Fries

The Associated Press reports on Yahoo News that french fries, obviously a cooked food, are now classified as "fresh vegetables." This does not mean, however, that you now need 3-5 servings of french fries as the food pyramid would suggest. Rather, the classification is actually for commercial reasons only. So why would I even post this mundane story? Because the Agriculture Department said that it does not consider an order of french fries the same as an apple in school lunches.

Okay, so my only reason for posting this story is this: Does the Agriculture Department actually think that an apple is a fresh vegetable?

COMMENT POLICY

Please refrain from the use of foul language. Any failure to comply will result in comment deletion.

2 Comments:

At Tue Jun 15, 02:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed. Yet another bureaucratic parodox. What about the distinct resemblance between the "healthy diet pyramid" and the cattle fattening pyramid offered to cattlemen by the USDA. (see http://www.eatingwell.com/articles_recipes/nutrition/willett.html)
Do not grow weary. One danger of higlighting absurdity in todays society is that you will never be finished.

 
At Wed Jun 16, 12:38:00 AM, Blogger D2M said...

Wow.. I mean, I know it's sad. But I laughed anyway! Stuff like that makes me feel smart..

After years of watching diet fads come and go (okay, so I'm only 20, but still!). I've concluded that the best way to stay "thin" is to cut back on sugars and to exercise in some form. Not that I'm taking my own advice... but at least I know what I'm suppose to do! (No sueing McDs for me... LOL..)

(If you've ever looked at the carb content of meals, you'll find a big portion of that is sugar. And sugar, especially the refined types we eat, are REALLY bad for us...)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.


Take the MIT Weblog Survey Federal Social Security Calculator

Powered by Blogger

Who Links Here Religion Blog Top Sites Whose values?